For the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998, Readers in the Know ('we' or 'us') is the 'data controller' (ie the company who is responsible for, and controls the processing of, your personal data). You can contact us here
Personal data we may collect about you
We only obtain personal data about you (e.g. your name, email address, country of residence, gender and age range) when you voluntarily provide this through completion of an online form.
For example, we will obtain personal data when you first register with this site and complete your user profile and preferences, or make a payment using Paypal. We will not knowingly obtain sensitive personal data about you unless you volunteer it during the completion of an online form. If you volunteer such information, you will be consenting to our processing it for the purpose of delivering our services.
How we use your personal data
We will use your personal data for the purposes described in the data protection notice that was given to you at the time your data were obtained. Depending on the account type selected during registration (e.g. reader, author, publisher, agent) these purposes may include:
- to help us identify you and any accounts you hold with us;
- research, statistical analysis and behavioural analysis;
- marketing—see 'Marketing and opting out', below;
- fraud prevention and detection;
- billing and order fulfilment;
- customising this website and its content to your particular preferences;
- to notify you of any changes to this website or to our services that may affect you;
- security vetting; and
- improving our services.
Marketing and opting out
By registering and creating an account with us, you consent to receive occasional important email updates about our services and how they affect you. You can delete your account at any time through the process described here
If you have also given permission through your preferences
, you may also receive automatic email notifications of current book promotions or blog articles that may be of interest to you. If you prefer not to receive these notifications, you can opt out at any time by un-ticking the appropriate option on your preferences
. See further Your rights
Disclosure of your personal data
The only circumstance under which your personal data would be disclosed to a third party would be to assist law enforcement agencies in connection with any investigation to help prevent or prosecute unlawful activity.
Keeping your data secure
We will use technical and organisational measures to safeguard your personal data, for example:
- access to your account is controlled by a password and username that are unique to you
- all passwords are encrypted prior to storage
- personal data is only stored on secure servers
- reasonable precautions have been taken in the development of our software to prevent the majority of known cyber attacks
While we will use all reasonable efforts to safeguard your personal data, you acknowledge that the use of the internet is not entirely secure and for this reason we cannot guarantee the security or integrity of any personal data that are transferred from you or to you via the internet.
We may monitor and record communications with you (such as emails) for the purpose of quality assurance, monitoring and training.
Information about other individuals
If you give us information on behalf of someone else, you confirm that the other person has appointed you to act on his/her behalf and has agreed that you can:
- give consent on his/her behalf to the processing of his/her personal data;
- receive on his/her behalf any data protection notices;
- give consent to the transfer of his/her personal data abroad; and
- give consent to the processing of his/her personally sensitive data on their uploaded user profiles.
You have the right at any time to delete your account with us via the process described here
, whereupon all personal data relating to your account will be permanently erased from our database.
Our contact details
We welcome your feedback and questions. You can contact us here