News and Book Marketing Blog
This is where we'll be posting articles on the subjects of independent publishing, book marketing and book promotion, as well as providing news updates relating to Readers in the Know.
How to Reach More Readers by Harnessing Amazon's Algorithms (with and without the elephant)29 Sep 2014
by Simon Denman0 comments
Full post can be found on ALLi Self Publishing Advice Blog.
Most authors I know enjoy marketing about as much as filing tax returns. And while time spent on the former ought to increase time spent on the latter (in a good way), the correlation isn’t always obvious. As the 19th century merchant, John Wanamaker, famously quipped, “Half the money I spend on advertising is wasted; the trouble is I don’t know which half.”
For authors, there is a bewildering array of promotional opportunities available and little agreement on which work and which don’t. The problem is compounded by the fact that few of us ever try things in isolation, since whatever tactics we employ, we generally want to do everything we can to maximise their success.
There is one ad service however, which often gets singled out as reliably effective, at least in the US, and that is Bookbub. In just two years, this company has acquired an email list reported to contain over two million readers in the USA, large numbers of which seem to buy books. (Bookbub has also just arrived in the UK.)
As a result, they can afford to be both very selective and very expensive, although as a periodic advertiser with them myself, I can confirm that providing you time it right, the expense is usually repaid at least twice over in sales.
For me however, the interesting thing about Bookbub, is not the fact that it does work, but why?
At first glance we might assume that the full 15,000 additional free downloads or the 1,500 incremental 99p sales we got from running the ad, all came from their subscribers, but this is unlikely, since it ignores the contribution from Amazon’s algorithms!
Read full post here.
What is Readers in the Know?
- Social Media Puzzles & Solutions for Writers
- The Listen Inside Podcast - Book Discovery via iTunes!
- How to Get Book Reviews - Insights from an Indie Reviewer
- Beyond Blogging - Creating your own Author Podcast
- How to time your book promos to create the perfect campaign
- The Ultimate List of Book Promo Sites and Free Submission Tool
- Are you an Ethical Author?
- How to engage Amazon's algorithms to sell more books
- Book Competition with Free Enhanced Listing for RITK members
- Kindle Countdown Campaign Results - Hunter in Orbit
- Countdown Commencing - A Real-Time Case Study in eBook Promotion
- Riding the Review Roller-Coaster
- 6 Tips for Book Discoverability with Readers in the Know
- A 24-HOUR 100-BOOK FACEBOOK PARTY
- The indiePENdents - A response to "The New Gatekeepers of Quality"
- The risk of trying a new author and how I became a fan of Peter James
- How to Reach More Readers by Harnessing Amazon's Algorithms (with and without the elephant)
- The New Gatekeepers of Publishing Quality
- Discount Promos and Goodreads Giveaways
- Why we shouldn't judge a book by its cover price.
- How Richard Bard, author of critically acclaimed bestselling action thriller series “Brainrush”, got noticed by Amazon's Thomas and Mercer.
- Who really controls the publishing industry?
- How to sell more books outside North America
- New Features! Video Trailers and Bookbuzzr "Read Excerpt" widget.