News and Book Marketing Blog
This is where we'll be posting articles on the subjects of independent publishing, book marketing and book promotion, as well as providing news updates relating to Readers in the Know.
by Simon Denman3 comments
After the amazing response to my previous post announcing our new book promo submission tool, I decided to contact RITK author and Amazon promo guru, Wayne Stinnett for his thoughts and feedback.
"It's a great tool," he said, "but do you know what what would make it even better? - Timing!"
He then went on to explain how he had recently been attempting to time his promos, not just on a day-to-day basis, but also by the hour.
The logic behind this is simply an extension of our previous deductions about the working of Amazon's algorithms taking into consideration that the sales rank is updated hourly rather than daily. So it makes sense, if you can manage it, to aim for an increased rate of sales not just day upon day, but hour upon hour.
With this goal in mind, Wayne had already started to record the approximate time of day when various promo sites send out their email blasts and so he generously agreed to share these with me for inclusion in the tool.
So, I quickly added a new column to the table to show the approximate hour at which email blasts are sent out, and then added a few more lines of code to allow you to select the time zone (since by default, the times shown are GMT).
Luckily, it all seemed to work like a charm and so the update went live this morning.
I don't yet have all the email timings for all sites that do an email blast, but I hope to be able to fill in the gaps over the coming days / weeks, so if you already have any of this missing info, please let me know.
For a more complete explanation of how to use this new data in the planning of your promos, I refer you to Wayne's post in the Kboards Writer's Cafe, What would a perfect five day discount promo look like?
What is Readers in the Know?
- Social Media Puzzles & Solutions for Writers
- The Listen Inside Podcast - Book Discovery via iTunes!
- How to Get Book Reviews - Insights from an Indie Reviewer
- Beyond Blogging - Creating your own Author Podcast
- How to time your book promos to create the perfect campaign
- The Ultimate List of Book Promo Sites and Free Submission Tool
- Are you an Ethical Author?
- How to engage Amazon's algorithms to sell more books
- Book Competition with Free Enhanced Listing for RITK members
- Kindle Countdown Campaign Results - Hunter in Orbit
- Countdown Commencing - A Real-Time Case Study in eBook Promotion
- Riding the Review Roller-Coaster
- 6 Tips for Book Discoverability with Readers in the Know
- A 24-HOUR 100-BOOK FACEBOOK PARTY
- The indiePENdents - A response to "The New Gatekeepers of Quality"
- The risk of trying a new author and how I became a fan of Peter James
- How to Reach More Readers by Harnessing Amazon's Algorithms (with and without the elephant)
- The New Gatekeepers of Publishing Quality
- Discount Promos and Goodreads Giveaways
- Why we shouldn't judge a book by its cover price.
- How Richard Bard, author of critically acclaimed bestselling action thriller series “Brainrush”, got noticed by Amazon's Thomas and Mercer.
- Who really controls the publishing industry?
- How to sell more books outside North America
- New Features! Video Trailers and Bookbuzzr "Read Excerpt" widget.